More than 70,000 Palestinians have been killed as a result of Israel's military campaign in Gaza, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry.

The death toll has continued to rise since a ceasefire took effect on 10 October, with Israel carrying out airstrikes for what it says are violations of the truce - while bodies continue to be recovered from under the rubble.

Among those reportedly killed in an Israeli drone strike on Saturday were two young brothers, Fadi and Juma Abu Assi, whose family said they had been gathering firewood when they were killed.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) told the BBC they had struck two suspects who had crossed the so-called yellow line.

The line marks where the Israeli military agreed to withdraw to under a ceasefire brokered by the United States more than seven weeks ago.

The boys who died have been described in media reports as an eight-year-old and his brother, aged 10 or 11.

Relatives said the children had been looking for firewood east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip when they were killed.

Their funeral was held at Nasser Hospital on Saturday.

Figures from the Gaza Ministry of Health (MoH) have been widely used throughout the war and are seen as reliable by the United Nations (UN) and international institutions. But Israel has consistently disputed data published by Gaza's authorities.

International journalists, including the BBC, are blocked by Israel from entering Gaza independently, so are unable to verify figures from either side.

Gaza's Health Ministry says the Palestinian toll is now 70,100 and that more than 350 of those deaths have happened since the 10 October ceasefire.

The Israeli military launched its offensive on Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.